Video content allows you to connect with users across the globe in seconds, and creating engaging videos for mobile can be a very important part of a content marketing strategy.
Convincing mobile users to watch your full video, avoiding the dreaded doom-scroll, can be challenging.
With so much video content available to consume, it's vital that your videos are performing to the best of their abilities.
Our top 5 tips focus on how to create videos for the two Meta platforms, Facebook and Instagram.
But, they also apply across platforms including, Twitter, TikTok, LinkedIn & YouTube.
So let’s dive straight in.
- Videos should ideally be under 1 minute, to keep the viewer's attention and focus on your message. Some social media platforms, like Instagram Stories, have a 15-second limit, so think carefully about video length.
- Spend time on the hook for your video. You have, at most, 4 seconds to capture the viewer's attention before they scroll or click away. The first few words or initial images are the most important moments.
- Picking the right aspect ratio for a mobile device is crucial. Whilst 9:16 is good for desktops and YouTube and Facebook feed posts, 16:9 and 1:1 will do you better for reels, TikToks, and Instagram videos.
- Showcasing your brand in the initial moments of your video creation is critical. That way, even if users scroll past, they have a better chance of finding your business again in the future.
- Including captions in your videos is a great way to boost accessibility and engagement. Pictory and many other video editing apps include auto-subtitling features.
- Use a video editing app to streamline the TikTok or YouTube video creation process. Pictory has a host of video editing features to help you create professional videos for all social media platforms in minutes.
15 Seconds for Mobile Video
Whist under 1 minute is often viewed as optimal, viewers can tune out at any time, so keep it short and sweet!
Video ads that are 15 seconds or less are also eligible for Instagram Stories and Facebook in-stream placements.
But remember, some placements do support longer videos.
Instagram feed and Audience Network placements allow to share videos of up to 120 seconds long.
Facebook feed & Marketplace Messenger Home can have videos that play for up to 240 minutes.
And TikTok now allows videos up to 10 minutes long!
And whilst viewers can change the video speed to lessen that, it's always better to be respectful of their time and keep your videos as short as possible.
Hook in your Audience
You have roughly 3 seconds to capture the audience's eye.
A well-written hook that drives intrigue or excitement is a surefire way to keep people watching.
Use the Right Aspect Ratio
Vertical or square mobile video?
Trick question, use both!
Phones are thought to be held vertically 94% of the time, so keeping your footage in 16:9 or 1:1 will make it more easily accessible.
Pictory allows you to easily change the aspect ratio of your video project, meaning you can make the same video compatible with all the relevant platforms.
The Early Bird Catches the Worm
It’s all about the brand, brand, brand.
Your brand message is the heart of the brand, so get it beating by showcasing your brand identity & logo early in the video.
Set it Up - You can use the “brand settings” section in Pictory to set up your brand.
You can find this at the top right of your video Home Screen.
Here you can add personalized, logos, text, and customizable templates, as well as pick your audio tracks, to really make your videos your own.
Include Video Subtitles
Can you hear me?
For most people, the answer is no.
This is because the majority of audiences watch videos with the sound off.
And…this is where Pictory comes in.
Pictory is an online video editor specifically designed to make mobile videos better than and increase video engagement with its AI Technology.
You can use Pictory to create your videos and access the 80%.
Bonus: Use an Online Video Editor like Pictory
So there we go, 5 tips for capturing audiences and increasing engagement.
And remember there are 4 ways to create videos in Pictory.
Script to Video
Copy and paste your text to begin creating your video.
Article to Video
Use existing blogs, press releases, or an HTML article from URLs.
Edit Videos Using Text
Create new content from YouTube videos, direct from your computer, and even Google Drive.
Visuals to Video
You can create video from existing video, video from images, or a mixture of both.
And a full suite of video editing features to help personalize your mobile video online, with no software download required.
We hope you enjoyed our Top Tips!
Sign up for a free Pictory account today and start making your next mobile video in seconds!
What do I need to do differently when making videos for mobile?
It is important to consider aspect ratio especially when making videos explicitly for mobile apps like TikTok or Instagram.
Use 16:9 or 1:1 for better app integration.
Whilst it is important to add music to any video to make engaging content, subtitles are just as important for mobile videos, as users are far more likely to watch videos on their phone in public and therefore on mute.
What software can I use to make mobile videos?
There are plenty of online video editors that can help with mobile videos, such as Adobe Premiere Rush and Vimeo Create.
But with great free and premium plans, Pictory can offer a wide range of capabilities for videos of all kinds, from creating new videos or picking the best moments of existing content for great highlight reels.